Monday, November 19, 2012

Thank You Suitcase

Hi everyone! This week we are having a 'thank you' theme at Simon Says Stamp and Show. I hope you will join us, and don't miss the wonderful DT projects.

I decided to do a little red and well-worn suitcase filled with thank you cards.

I recently read a book where a red vintage suitcase played a major role and it made me want to make a similar suitcase. I used the Sizzix Suitcase ScoreBoards die, which fits into the Big Shot, it is not a Pro die. All you need are the extended cutting pads, since it is an XL die. I did a tutorial using the suitcase die here, and also used it on this project. It makes such a cute suitcase, which can be filled with lots of different things. I embellished the front with a sweet girl, a ticket, mini paper clip and a piece of vintage lace which was coloured with the new Brushed Pewter Distress Stain. All the stamping was done on manila cardstock.

I used school-related stamps so this project would work great as a teacher's gift, but it could be given to other people too, and you can use other stamps to fit the recipient.


Cover mat board (or chipboard) with red kraft core cardstock. I used multi medium, since I wanted it to stick down well everywhere. When the glue is dry, die cut the pieces of the suitcase. Die cut the handle from plain cream mat board. Sand the covers to reveal the kraft core and give the bag a worn appearance. Then stamp it with some school related stamps using Archival Ink Jet Black.

I stamped the inside of the bag, using a variety of school and learning stamps and inked it with Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap. Archival Ink Jet Black, Coffee and Vermillion (which is a great deep red) was used for the stamping.

It is very easy to assemble the suitcase, since the die both cuts and scores. Use brads in the assigned places, I used a small pair of pliers to press the brads together, so that they hold the suitcase together more firmly. This is the back of the suitcase. I placed another piece of lace there, a stamped vintage typewriter and another ticket. I also cut a little tag and tied around the handles. After assembly,Frayed Burlap Distress Marker was applied to the scored edges, to hide the cream mat board.

More stamping on the side.

And a great vintage globe.

Here you can see the inside of the suitcase with all the thank you cards. I made 15 cards, you could easily fit more into the suitcase, or also add small envelopes.

This is the inside without the cards.

To make the cards, I used my favourite technique for quickly colouring lots of papers: distress stains. I used the same technique on this mini-book, for example. It is so easy and gives great results. Smear Distress Stains on your craft sheet. I used Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Pumice Stone and Brushed Pewter. The Brushed Pewter is metallic, but reacts with water like the other stains, it gives a great effect to the cards (hard to photograph though). Mist the paper with water, on both sides, and dip/drag/smear into the ink. Turn the paper around and do the same on the other side. This gives you one side where the ink colours are stronger and more defined, and one where they are more blended and lighter.

When the cards were dry, I stamped each of them with a school image using either Jet Black or Coffee ink, using the TJ Designs Vintage School Days set and Graphic 45 ABC Primer 3 set. Then I stamped them again with the great ledger stamp from the Stamper's Anonymous School Desk set, with Pumice Stone ink. I held the cling stamp in my hand, so that the impression wouldn't be perfect. Finally, I stamped thank you sentiments with Vermillion ink.

These are the remaining cards.

On the back of the cards, I stamped different images with Archival Coffee ink, using larger stamps that covered the whole background. I stamped two of each (and three of one since I made 15 cards).

Show us your 'thank you' project this week, a very meaningful and also wide theme, and you can be the lucky one to win a $50 gift voucher from our generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp.

21 comments:

  1. Love your suitcases! This one is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna-Karin your little red case is gorgeous, love the colour and such wonderful image choices too. Then you add all the wonderful detail to the inside too. I love the cards. This is such a wonderful gift idea. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna-Karin. I so love this little suitcase die cut. Your little red vintage suitcase is absolutely adorable. I love all of those stamps and how you've used them. The design of your suitcase is awesome enough but then you've added those adorable little thank you notes! Oh my...they are precious! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic project, Anna-Karin! Love how you made the notecards for the inside as well... a neat surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic project, Anna-Karin! Love how you made the notecards for the inside as well... a neat surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna-Karin- this suitcase is so amazing. It actually looks like a real suitcase the way you distressed it! Love the stamps you picked and awesome tutorials on how you achieved the inked effects! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! If I could capitalize capital letters bigger I would! You. Are. Amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! Love the sweet suitcase and the cards inside are beautiful! Loved seeing all the different images you used. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this suitcase project. The aged effect you have achieved is wonderful, and the colour is perfect. I made a pack of thank you cards for someone who I thought needed to send some last year, still didn't get one lol! Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...this is a great project, beautiful done!
    I find the paper with the stamps really well made, it look very old.
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool, cool, cool! I love everything. The suitcase, the vintage look and the cards inside. Absolutly my street of alley...(:o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a wonderful suitcase! Love that you made it all worn and vintage! Beautifully done! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab little suitcase, and the cards inside are quite the prize...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anna-Karin....EVERY week I have to pick my jaw up off the floor after viewing your blog!! WOW girl this suitcase is so FABulous!! your attention to detail is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AMAZING and totally fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable suitcase, Anna-Karin! Thanks so much for sharing this full and fantastic tutorial on how to make it :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  17. all i can say is WOW!how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply fantastic... the suitcase itself is utterly adorable, and each of the thank you cards is an absolute treat! I'm in love with it!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous. Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute Anna!! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely idea! Just wonderful! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!