Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Two Darkroom Door Travel Cards

Hello everyone! I have made two cards using the Darkroom Door Sydney PhotochipsMontage and Filmstrip paper products. These city images are awesome and don't have to be limited to travel projects or projects relating to the particular place.

First I made a distressed travel card, but this would also work as a more general card, with a different sentiment on the inside.

I distressed the Sydney Vol 2 Filmstrip and small photos with an edge distress tool and by scratching them with a needle tool. I inked them a bit with Gathered Twigs and folded some of the edges and corners. The background was made by smearing crackle paste through a brick stencil, leaving it to dry and then adding colour with watered-down acrylic paint.

The suitcase from Nomad was stamped with black ink on a scrap piece of ledger paper and for the sentiment, I die cut a ticket and stamped 'World traveller', also from Nomad, on top with black ink. I cut a word from the Sydney Wordstrip and inked it. A game spinner arrow always works on travel cards and I also added a little wood veneer boat.

The two small montage photos were attached to the card with paper clips.
A close-up of the texture, it is pretty cool.
For my second card, I went with brighter colours and made a card which would work both as a travel card and as a wedding/engagement/anniversary card. The background was done in the same way as on the first card, using a dot stencil, crackle paste and yellow and blue paint. A sentiment from Nomad was stamped on a die cut ticket strip and I used wood veneer shapes as embellishments.

The gorgeous photo from Sydney Photochips was coloured with dye inks, using my favourite way of colouring scenic type of images. I used a Colorbox Stylus Tool to drag ink onto the image, starting with the lightest shade and gradually adding darker blue colours. See this tutorial for more on this tool and technique. For the houses, I used yellow ink so that it looks like there is light in all the windows. The happy couple is standing on the bridge, on their way to new adventures. The image was matted on a die cut stamp frame, since the frame is too wide for the image, I cut off the one edge, and moved it so that it would be the right size. I made sure the edge pattern was lined up, so you can hardly see that it has been made smaller.

A close-up of the texture and paint.

Thank you for looking!! I'll be back tomorrow with a tutorial.

Anna-Karin


Supplies for both cards:

Darkroom Door products:
Stamps: Nomad
Paper products: Sydney Photochips, Sydney MontageSydney Wordstrips, Sydney Vol 2 Filmstrip

Other:
Surfaces: Ranger Manila cardstock; Daler & Rowney watercolour cardstock
Dies: Sizzix: Postage Stamp Frame, Mini TicketsMini Filmstrip & Mini Tickets
Ink: Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink; Distress Ink: Faded Jeans, Gathered Twigs, Squeezed Lemonade, Scattered Straw; Ranger Adirondack: Aqua, Stonewashed
Stencils: The Crafter's Workshop Mini Bricks, Mini Swiss Dots
Paint: Golden: Raw Umber, Primary Yellow, Cobalt Blue Fluid Acrylics
Medium: Golden Crackle Paste
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Mini Paper Clips, Game Spinners; Studio Calico wood veneer shapes; twine

2 comments:

  1. Very cool, and I love the texture in the background, too :)
    Great job . . . you are so creative.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant cards... I adore the brick background!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!